This Quicknote is intended for current faculty, staff, and students who possess a University of Michigan LAN or UMICH account.
Having any of your passwords changed requires that your personal information is accurate up to date. In the event the information on file with the University for the user is not up-to-date, the user will need to update their information in the SIS, with the office of the Registrar, or Human Resources before the Helpdesk can change the password.
In the event that the user has a red flag on their account, the Helpdesk will need to see the user in person with two forms of valid photo ID before any changes can be made with their account.
Only students can update their contact information by accessing the SIS. Students may contact the Helpdesk if they need assistance with this. Faculty and staff can contact Human Resources to update their contact information.
What is the Password Change Policy?
The ITS Helpdesk will be adhering to the following procedure when changing passwords of faculty, staff, and students. This policy refers to current passwords. Please note that ITS will unlock a user’s account once without identity verification.
Users are required to appear in person at one of the two ITS Helpdesk locations with a form of government-issued photo ID for password changes. In the event a user is unable to come to campus (i.e. user is a NetPlus! Student) as long as there is NOT
a red flag on the account, then the Helpdesk will do the following:
- Identity Verification. There are two available options for finishing the ID verification process:
- See the user in person with a form of valid photo ID
- Verify three (3) Questions using WebSAM including Date of Birth, the address on file, and the last four of the user's social security number – if all of the questions cannot be verified, the Helpdesk can offer some specific alternatives
- Use a Challenge Word/Phrase – the Helpdesk can send a challenge word/phrase of choice to the email listed on WebSAM. The user must recite this word or phrase back to the technician.
- Have the user recite their UMID – the Helpdesk can ask the user to recite their UMID in place of their SSN only.
- Call the Client – the Helpdesk can call the client at one of the phone numbers on file in Banner or UM Emergency Alerts with the user's permission. The Helpdesk staff MUST call the client at a number on file with the university.
- Changing the password – The Helpdesk will then change the password to a random password which the user must change at their first login.
NOTE: ITS recommends that all faculty, staff, and students update their information in the UM Emergency Alert system. For information on how to do this, please visit the following website: http://www.umflint.edu/emergency/
. ITS also recommends that people who travel often add a mobile phone number to their personal information in Banner, with Human Resources, or in the UM Emergency Alert System.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White Building
(810)-762-3123 (option 1)