SSH and SFTP are secure alternatives to telnet and FTP. Telnet and FTP transmit data in a manner that is easily intercepted. SSH and SFTP transmit your uniqname and password in an encrypted form that is not easily intercepted.
This Quicknote is for the benefit of the faculty and staff members on campus.
To follow this Quicknote you will need to have a current affiliation with the university and have access to the L: drive.
Installing the FileZilla Software / Getting to the SSH/SFTP Software:
- Double click on File Explorer.
- Select the L: drive.
- Double click on the ITS Recommended Applications folder.
- Double click on the SSH Client folder.
- Double click on FileZilla application.
- Click Yes if a security warning prompts.
Using FileZilla to Connect to Banxfer:
- Utilizing the boxes at the top please enter the following:
- Enter the server name banxfer.umflint.edu in the Host Name: box.
- Enter your uniqname in the User Name: box.
- Your current password in the password box. (This password will not be displayed in plain text.)
- Make sure the port is set to 22.
- Click Quickconnect
- It may inform you that this is an unknown host key. Please check, "Always trust this host, add this key to the cache".
- After you've successfully connected you can add this configuration to the bookmarks near the top of FileZilla.
- Click bookmarks then add bookmarks
- Enter the name. (Anything that would help you remember.)
- Click OK
- You should now be connected to the server.
Using FileZilla to transfer files:
- Open the FileZilla software following the directions under To Access the FileZilla software section.
- Click the Transfer button toward the top of the page then click Manual transfer...
- Choose the Upload option to move things to the server.
- Choose the local file you would like to send.
- Select the Remote File Path you would like to send to.
- Note: Include the file name of the file being transferred
- For the server select use server currently connected to
- Leave Data type as Auto
- Make sure to check Start transfer immediately
- The file will now be moved to the specified location.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.Locations
: 206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White BuildingPhone#
: (810) 762-3123 (Option 1)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org