A mailing list or listserve is an email that is distributed to all subscribed UM-Flint members. Some lists are voluntary and others are mandatory. This Quicknote details the common voluntary mailing lists, their uses, and instructions for how to subscribe or unsubscribe. All students are automatically subscribed to select mailing lists but they can unsubscribe from the voluntary lists if they so choose. Below are links to the official ITS guidelines for the common mailing lists and a full list of the mailing lists, although not all can be subscribed to depending on your university affiliation or job role:
This Quicknote is for the benefit of faculty, staff, and students who would like to know more about managing their mailing list subscriptions or sending to one.
To manage your mailing list subscriptions, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have a current UM-Flint affiliation, such as active faculty, staff, student, or alumni
- Know your UM-Flint uniqname and password, if you don't know your password please refer to this Quicknote
In addition to the above, to send an email to a mailing list, you will need to meet the following additional requirements:
To reach mailing lists on my.umflint.edu
- Click Login? and login with your uniqname and password.
- Click on Email Lists.
- Here you will see any list that you have access to.
Common Mailing Lists
At UM-Flint, there are many mailing lists intended for various purposes. Some lists are sent right away and monitored to ensure the emails comply with the Email List Serve Guidelines
. Other lists, such as Umf_students@list.umflint.edu, are moderated and emails must be approved by the respective department before they are sent. To send emails to a mailing list, use this format: email@example.com with 'listname' replaced by the mailing list name. Below are some of the commonly used voluntary mailing lists:
- Happenings@list.umflint.edu: Notice of events such as concerts, special speakers, picnics, or other happenings on campus or those relating to UM-Flint.
- Classifieds@list.umflint.edu: Advertise items for sale, but not to be used to promote one's business.
- Umf_students@list.umflint.edu: Promote student activities that must be official UM-Flint business and pertain to a student organization or involvement only.
- Umf_fac_staff@list.umflint.edu: Provide general faculty and staff-related information, such as departmental services and events relating to professional development.
- Sadnews@list.umflint.edu: Used to share the sad news of faculty, staff, or previous students that have departed.
Note: Please don't send to this mailing list directly. Send your obituary notices to Karen Arnould at firstname.lastname@example.org, who is from the Office of the Registrar, and will send them to campus on your behalf.
Subscribing and Unsubscribing to a Mailing List
To subscribe to a list,
- Navigate to my.umflint.edu
- Click Login? and log in with your uniqname and password.
- Click on Email Lists.
- Click on the toggle button to the right of the list you would like to subscribe to.
- After subscribing to a list, you will receive an email confirming that you have subscribed to the list.
- To unsubscribe from the list, click again on the toggle button.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
206 Murchie Science Building