Personal Google Sites Pages
- Personal home (web) pages residing on Google Sites are created and maintained solely by the individual authors, not by the University of Michigan-Flint.
- The University does not endorse or actively monitor the content of these web pages. These pages do not constitute official University business or statements, and the University accepts no responsibility for their content.
- All comments regarding the contents of personal web pages are to be directed to the page author.
This Quicknote is for the benefit of the faculty, staff, and student members who are looking to host a personal webpage using Google Sites.
To follow this Quicknote you will need to have access to the internet. You will also need to have access to your university account and know your current university credentials (uniqname and current password)
Table of Contents
Create a Google Site: [Back]
You must be logged in on your university Google account (uniqname
@umich.edu), then proceed to sites.google.com
- At the top, under "Start a new site," select a template. This will open the Google Site Editor.
- Add content and edit your site. More information on how to do so can be found at Google's support site.
Share and publish your Google site: [Back]
You can publish your site and decide who can see it.
- To share with specific people, click the "Share with others" option at the top next to the Settings Gear symbol
- Enter the name or email address of the person or Group you want to add, and then click send.
- You can edit each user's permission by clicking the tab next to the "Add people and groups" section.
- Click Send, and then click Done.
- At the top-right, click Publish.
- Enter a web address for your site.
- Click the Publish button.
- To view your published Google site, click the down arrow next to Publish at the top
- in the drop-down menu, click "View publish site."
- Alternatively, you can open another page and type in the URL of your site (https://sites.google.com/view/your web address name)
If you wish to delete a published Google site, follow the instructions found at Google's support site.
To restore a deleted Google site, refer to the previous link.
Frequently Asked Questions: [Back]
"I’m not sure how to make a Google Site. Can someone in ITS do it for me, or give me lessons on how to make one?"
Unfortunately, no one in ITS can make your homepage for you or train you in webpage design. Fortunately making a Google Site doesn't require much technical know-how and there are plenty of online resources to help you get started, including Google
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
206 Murchie Science Building