For anti-virus protection on personal and University-Owned computers, the University of Michigan Flint currently recommends Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac.
This Quicknote is for the benefit of faculty, staff, and students who own Mac computers.
To install Sophos, you must have a Mac with OSX 10.8.x (Mountain Lion) or newer. To check what version of OSX you have to follow the directions below:
- Click the Apple Menu button at the top left.
- Click About This Mac.
- Under OS X it says the version number of the operating system.
Installing Sophos (Personal devices)
*Note it is recommended to uninstall all other anti-virus programs prior to installing Sophos. Directions for removing an older version of Sophos can be found here: https://www.macexpertguide.com/how-to-uninstall-sophos-mac-antivirus/
- To download Sophos, go to https://www.safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/viruses/
- Click Download Sophos Anti-Virus for free
- Login using uniqname and UMICH password
- If you get an error, please contact the ITS Helpdesk (810-762-3123 or ITS-HelpDesk@umflint.edu) and a work ticket will be placed to assist you with this problem.
- Ann Arbor still provides a free version of Sophos for personal-use machines.
Installing Sophos (University-Owned Devices)
- Navigate to https://safecomputing.umich.edu/protect-the-u/manage-um-workstations/antivirus-um
- Click Download Sophos for university computers.
- On the Box screen, click Continue.
- Log in with your uniqname and current Password.
- In Box, click the "..." button next to the "Sophos Anti-Virus Installation Notes.pdf" and the "Sophos_Anti-Virus_9.5_UM.dmg" files, and then click Download.
- Once they have downloaded, run the "Sophos_Anti-Virus_9.5_UM.dmg" file.
- Double-click the Sophos Installer icon within the UofM window that pops up.
- You may need to allow the file to run, depending on your security settings.
- Click Continue in the "Install Sophos Endpoint" window that pops up.
- Read over the Terms of Service, then click Continue
- Click Agree on the next prompt
- You may need to enter an Administrator password next, depending on your security settings.
- Sophos should start installing for a short while (1-2 minutes)
- There may be a prompt that the Sophos extension is being blocked. If so:
- Click Open Security Settings, then click the Lock icon in the bottom left of that window. You may need to enter your Administrator password again
- Click Allow next to "System software from developer 'Sophos' was blocked from loading."
- Close out of the Security Settings window. Sophos should be just finishing up by then.
- If Sophos installed fine, you should see a "The installation was successful" screen. Click Close to finalize.
For additional information about how to protect your computer, see our Protecting Your Computer Quicknote at the following link:https://support.umflint.edu/its/article/protecting-my-computer
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.Locations:
206 Murchie Science Building or 3174 William S. White BuildingPhone#:
(810)-762-3123 (option 1)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org