Dropbox at U-M is the University of Michigan's implementation of Dropbox.com's cloud collaboration and storage service. Dropbox at U-M offers an easy and safe way to store and share files and collaborate with others, both within and outside of the University. Dropbox at U-M is available to all current faculty, staff, students, emeritus faculty, and sponsored affiliates at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint, and Michigan Medicine campuses.
The University of Michigan offers M+Google Drive as another cloud storage solution as well. For more information about M+Google Drive, please refer to the following Quicknote on the subject: M+Google Drive: General Information
This Quicknote is intended for faculty, staff, and students who need cloud-based storage, collaboration, and sharing of documents and secure information.
This Quicknote is for general informational purposes and has no specific requirements.
- 5 TB of storage for all active faculty, staff, students
- Share and discuss documents with others, inside and outside U-M
- Access your files via the web and from a wide range of devices
- Keep track of multiple versions of your documents automatically
- Lock documents while editing, so others can't accidentally overwrite your changes
- Accounts are approved for sensitive data and ePHI (HIPAA)
- Other types of data can be found here
- Data Protection Agreement (DPA)
- Single Sign-On (SSO) — Authentication via U-M SSO
Getting Started with Dropbox at U-M
To navigate to Dropbox at U-M, simply follow this link and the directions below: https://its.umich.edu/communication/collaboration/dropbox
- Click on the Create/Login to U-M Dropbox button.
- Log in with your uniqname and current password.
How to Install Dropbox
There is also a downloadable application you can install on your desktop, much like the Google Drive app, to install this please follow the directions below
- Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/install.
- If you have not already navigated to Getting Started with Dropbox at U-M and set up an account you will need to do that prior to installing Dropbox.
- Once you navigate to the above site, click on the Create/Login to U-M Dropbox button.
- Click Download Dropbox.
- Open the file on your computer.
- DropboxInstaller.exe on Windows.
- DropboxInstaller.dmg on Mac.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install.
- When asked to sign in, use your email@example.com and it should tell you "Single sign-on enabled"
- It should then redirect you to your web browser to get a code that will need to be copied and pasted into the Dropbox installer
- The installer will ask for the code generated from the web browser and once you enter it you can continue to set up Dropbox to your individual needs
For more information on what is available please view these resources:
ITS has identified known issues when using access databases in dropbox (installed dropbox client and web version), for users needing to continue to access these secure files please place a ticket for the ITS project team to evaluate a temporary and long-term solution as to not impair current university business.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the use of Dropbox at U-M cloud service, please contact Ann Arbor's ITS Service Center for assistance.
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
206 Murchie Science Building