There was a problem loading the comments.

What is an Mcard?

Support Portal  »  Department of Public Safety  »  Viewing Article

  • 10/11/2019 5:16 PM

The Mcard is the official identification card for students, faculty, and staff of the University of Michigan - Flint. All of Campus uses them to identify themselves as members of the University community. The Mcard features the cardholder's name, photo, affiliation with the University ("student" or "department") and UMID number.
mcard_photo_application_3.png The Mcard serves the following purposes:
  • Entrance into Campus Buildings
  • ID verification for University business
  • ID card for the Recreation Center
  • Access card for First Street and Riverfront Residence Halls
  • Access card for ITS computer labs and multi-function printers
  • Identity verification for Faculty and Staff parking on the UM-Ann Arbor campus
  • A debit card for Residential Meal Plans or Maize Money accounts. The Mcard can be used at the University Pavilion (Barnes & Noble, Jilly's Pizza, O'Blendz, Subway, Shawarma Bite, Sportlite Grill), in the University Center (Cafe Blue, the Grill, Starbucks, Street Eats), and for laundry in the residence halls. More information on these programs can be found at

Obtaining an Mcard

UM-Flint students, faculty, and staff can obtain a new or replacement Mcard from the offices of DPS in the Hubbard Building.
During the first week of the Fall and Winter semesters, DPS distributes Mcards, parking passes and validation stickers at the Outdoor Rink near the University Pavilion.
In order to obtain your Mcard, you must have a government-issued photo ID with you such that we can verify your identity. Here are some examples of accepted photo IDs:
  • Driver's License
  • State ID
  • U.S. Passport
  • Military ID
  • U.S. Green Card
  • Homeland Security Card
  • Official Foreign Passport
  • Official Foreign Driver's License (if in English)
If you do not possess a government-issued photo ID (i.e. High School or K-12 students), the following may be accepted:
  • Previous School ID + Birth Certificate + Parent/Guardian's photo ID
  • Previous School ID + Learner's Permit + Parent/Guardian's photo ID
  • Previous School ID + Temporary License + Parent/Guardian's photo ID

Online Mcard Applications

Through the assistance of the ITS Software Developement team, DPS now offers a new online Mcard portal in order to expedite the process of obtaining an Mcard. The online Mcard portal is intended for students only and can be accessed at This online portal allows you to submit an appropriate identification photo for use on your Mcard. Submitted Mcard photos are subject to approval, and should resemble a traditional Driver's License or another photo ID.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Mcards

It is very important to notify the proper authorities of lost/stolen Mcards so that card access can be deactivated quickly, preventing potential unauthorized access and/or charges.
Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, the Department of Public Safety will be mailing Mcards until the first week of the Fall 2020 semester. In order to receive your Mcard in the mail, you must:
  • Be registered for classes.
  • Submit a confirmation of your current mailing address.
  • Send DPS a copy of the FRONT and BACK of your USA government issued photo ID or Passport.
All information on your government issued photo ID should be clear and legible. If these conditions are not met or you do not wish to receive your Mcard in the mail, your Mcard will be available for pick up in person beginning on Monday, August 31st, 2020 at the Outdoor Ice Rink near the University Pavilion. In order to pick up your Mcard in person, you must be registered for classes and present a valid government issued photo ID.
Found Mcards are to be returned to the Department of Public Safety. If an Mcard is found and returned to DPS, an email will notify the cardholder to retrieve it at no extra charge.
For cards that must be replaced due to name or department changes, expiration, or that no longer function due to normal wear, no fee will be charged. When requesting a replacement of this nature, your old Mcard must be returned to DPS.
Note: Mcards are the property of the University of Michigan and must be surrendered upon request.


If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please contact DPS below for assistance.
Location: 103 Hubbard Building 602 Mill Street Flint, Mi 48503
Phone#: (810) 762-3333

Share via
Thank you for your feedback on this article.

Related Articles

Self-Hosted Help Desk Software by SupportPal


© University of Michigan-Flint